8 days Rongai route
8 Day Kilimanjaro Climb Rongai Route is unique, challenging and adventurous. Suitable for experienced climbers and those with enough energy. The climb takes up to 8 days to and from the top of Africa
Day 0: Arrive at the Kilimanjaro International Airport
Arrive at the Kilimanjaro International Airport where you will be met at the airport and be transferred at Hibiscus Hotel in Moshi for overnight.
Day 1: Nalemoru Gate (1990m) to Simba Camp (2625m)
Elevation: 23770m/7800ft to 2895m/9500ft
This morning we will drive to the village of NaleMoru for the starting point of the Rongai route. The first stage of the trek is through farmland and pine forests. You may have chance to see the beautiful Colobus monkeys or if you’re lucky enough, elephants or buffalos en route. Our first camp will be the Simba Camp located at the edge of the moorland zone at 2625m.
Day 2: Simba Camp (2625m) to 2nd Cave Camp (3480m)
Elevation: 2895m/9500ft to 3505m/11,500ft
The morning hike is a steady ascent up to the Second Cave Camp located in the moorland zone with superb views of Kibo and the Eastern ice fields on the crater rim.
Day 3: 2nd Cave Camp (3480m) to Kikelewa Camp (3630m) Kikelelwa Camp
Elevation: 3505m/11,500ft to 3850m/13,800ft
Leaving the pine forest behind, we carry on with a steady ascent walking though moorland. There are superb views of the Eastern ice fields on the crater rim of Kibo, the highest of the three volcanoes which form the mountain. We will leave the main trail and strike out across moorland on a smaller path towards the jagged peaks of Mawenzi, the second of Kilimanjaro volcanoes. We will set up camp today in the sheltered valley near Kikelewa caves at 3630m
Day 4: Kikelewa Camp (3630m) to Mawenzi Tarn Hut (4310m)
Elevation: 3850m/11,500ft to 4200m/13,780ft
This morning we have a short but steep ascent up grassy slopes which is rewarded by a superb view of the Kenyan plains to the north. We leave vegetation behind shortly before reaching our next camp at Mawenzi Tarn Hut directly below the towering cliffs of Mawenzi. This afternoon you have chance to rest or explore the surrounding area to aid acclimatization. .
Day 5: Mawenzi Tarn Hut (4310m) to Kibo Hut (4700m)
Elevation: 4200m/13,780ft to 4020m/13,188ft.
We leave our campsite and cross the lunar desert of the ‘saddle’ between Mawenzi and Kibo After a couple hours trekking, reach this spectacular place, with the summit of Kilimanjaro in the background and our trail to the high camp stretched out before our eyes. Upon reaching our camp the remainder of the day will be spent resting in preparation of the final ascent after a very early night!
Day 6: Kibo Hut (4700m) to UHURU PEAK (5895m) & down to Horombo Hut (3700m)
Elevation: 4020m/13,188ft to 3800m/15,350ft
Today is “The Big Day” - the summit stage. You will begin your final ascent around midnight which will be long and strenuous. Passing the Hans Meyer Cave at 5220m, the climb slowly but surely goes upwards. At sunrise, you will reach Gillman’s Point (5681m) – the crater rim of Kilimanjaro – where the sun will slowly start to warm up the land. You will have soon forgotten the cold of the night and after a further hike of 1 - 2 hours, you will reach Uhuru Peak at 5895m. On your return to Kibo Hut, a warm meal awaits you followed by a 1 - 2 hour break before proceeding back down to Horombo Hut.
Day 7: Horombo Hut (3700m) to Marangu Gate (1860m)
Elevation: 3800m/15,350ft to 4800m/15,748ft
The last stage passes through the heath and moor zone to the Mandara Hut (2700m) where a warm lunch is waiting for you. Soon, you will once again pass the tropical rainforest and after a total time of 6 hours trekking, you will be back at the Kilimanjaro National Park Gate (1860m). After saying goodbye to your mountain guides, a short transfer follows to take you back to your hotel in Moshi. Once there, you can take a warm and relaxing shower and celebrate your success in reaching the summit of the Kilimanjaro.
Day 8: Depart Tanzania
Elevation: 4800m/15,748ft to 5895m/19,340ft Descent to 3090m/10,150ft
This day left for your next destination. If you have safari, then might be used to beginning your safari or fly to Zanzibar or fly back home. Our vehicle will be ready to take you to the airport at your time
- Pick up and drop off at Kilimanjaro International Airport.
- Park fees, camping fees, rescue fees and 18% VAT on tour fees & services which cost nearly 55% of the total cost charged.
- Transportation to & from the mountain gate
- Professional mountain guides, cooks and porters
- 3 meals daily while on the mountain
- Filtered water throughout the trek
- Fair wages for the mountain crew as approved by the Kilimanjaro National Park Authority (KINAPA), Kilimanjaro Association of Tour Operators (KIATO)
- Pre and after Trek accommodation at the hotel, 2 nights at hotel in Moshi with bed & breakfast (BB) meal plan.
- The tour program is not fixed, it can change with regards to the guest choice & taste
- Accommodation types: Hotels, lodges, tented camps, campsite (guest choice)
- Guest can choose for either a private or a joining Safari
- The mentioned safaris days exclude the arrival day
- Meal will be full body during Safaris and only bed and breakfast (BB) before and After safari
- Both National and international Flights
- Visa cost which is 50$ except for Canadian and USA passport holders which is 100$
- Items of a personal nature
- Medical insurance
- Laundry Services
- A doctor for the group
- Tips and gratitude for the mountain crew
- Portable flush toilet with a toilet tent is extra (US$100 per toilet + toilet tent)